Re: pinhole Making reading interesting?

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 12 2004 - 12:50:55 PST

From: "Paul Doherty" <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Making reading interesting?
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 12:50:55 -0800

Hi Hugh

Textbooks are not written to be presented orally.

When I do classroom readings I select poetry
e.g. 'When I heard the learned astronomer" during the
first class period in Astonomy

or readings from great texts

I read the bibical version of the creation during the
first geology class (I use this as an intro to a
discussion of religion and science.)(You can get away with
this in a college class)

I also read the first paragraph of every student's essay I
require them to write in geology class. I do not mention
the name of the student who wrote the paragraph I am
reading. I use this as an example to show the students
that they can detect the difference between good and bad
writing.

Or I'll read bits of plays about science e.g. Copenhagen
These are meant to be read aloud.

Or I'll read great paragraphs for example from David
Leveson's
  "A Sense of the Earth."

Paul D