Re: pinhole Pinhole: Earth's rotation changed by quake?

From: Gary Horne (garyhorne@mac.com)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 12:39:49 PST

From: Gary Horne <garyhorne@mac.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole Pinhole: Earth's rotation changed by quake?
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:39:49 -0800

I've been trying to figure this out. I checked online and found that
the Kinetic Energy of Earth's rotation is about 2.56 x 10 to the 29
Joules. I heard that the Earthquake was equivalent to 100 atomic
bombs. A typical atomic bomb, according to another website, releases
less than 9 times 10 to the 10 Joules. So 100 atomic bombs would be 9
times 10 to the 12 Joules. That seems pretty negligible when compared
with 2.56 times 10 to the 29, so I think that if it had an effect, it
wouldn't even amount to one second of rotation (which is 1: 3153600
out of a year)

This 8th grade math teacher can't wait for school to start again to
discuss scientific notation and this earthquake!

Gary