Re: pinhole slide rules?

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 09:18:16 PST

From: "Paul Doherty" <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole slide rules?
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 09:18:16 -0800

I too love to find ways to teach about logarithms.

Here is an activity I developped called multiplication
blocks, it is a digital sliderule in diguise.

http://www.exo.net/~pauld/activities/mathematics/multiplicationblocks.htm

I also love the history of Napier. The "Fear of Murchison"
who while contemplating religion and mathematics in his
scottish castle came up with an idea that was so far out
that it could have come from Mars: the idea of the
logarithm.

Later this idea was used to create the slide rule. The
slide rule speeded up mathematics in the 17'th century as
much as the computer does today, it was a practical
mathematical revolution.

Napier also came up with Napiers Bones, which were later
replaced by having children memorize the times tables,
it's amazing to think that thrid graders today have
superior computing power to educated people in the 17'th
century because the memorize the times tables. (Napier's
bones are the times tables in stick form.)

While he was at it he also introduced the decimal form of
fractions.

I would like nto give a workshop on logarithms, including
the slide rule.

Paul Doherty