Re: pinhole pigments of red heads

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 18:13:03 PST

From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole pigments of red heads
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 18:13:03 -0800

Hi Eric

Blonde, brown and black hair color is caused by melanin in various
amounts.
Melanin in the skin causes tanning and dark skin pigmentation, it
protects from UV.

Red hair is caused by trichosiderin it is independently inherited from
the melanin so you can have black hair with red highlights or
strawberry blonde hair or just red hair of different intensities.

It takes more UVA than UVB to make a sunburn.
UVA penetrates more deeply into the skin, where it can break apart
molecules that lead to sun poisoning.
I know this. I used to have reddish blonde hair (now its whitening) I
had little melanin in my skin. When I used to use sun screen that
blocked only UVB I would get sick on my first sun exposure each year.
Now I use sun block that stops UVA and UVB and I no longer get sun
poisoning (Hooray!) (After the first sun exposure I would tan and then
for the rest of the year the tan would block the UVA and I wouldn't get
sick.)

Sun dose that causes a sunburn is bad.
No sun is bad (you get rickets)

Scientists are currently arguing about what the right does of sun (UV)
is.

Some say none, others say a little is good, there is no definitive
answer.

I've personally decided to allow myself a little natural sun exposure
to make a tan to protect me when I go to the mountains. I worry about
overexposure to UV in a tanning salon since I know the evils of UVA
induced sickness. But I expect that a little controlled exposure to UV
is probably OK.

Paul D