nano institute

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2005 - 08:59:23 PST

Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 08:59:23 -0800
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: nano institute

An opportunity for High School Phyics and Chemistry Teachers to work on a
program at Stanford.

Please excuse the format of this document I can not append the original PDF
onto a Pinhole e-mail. So I have cut and pasted it.

If you want a copy of the appication write to me.

Paul D

2550 S. Parker Road, Suite 500 * Aurora, CO 80014-1678
303.337.0990 * Fax: 303.337.3005 * www.mcrel.org
February 8, 2005

Dear High School Science Teacher:
The National Science Foundation (NSF) is breaking new ground in funding the
development of
instructional materials that teach students about nanoscale science!
Mid-continent Research for
Education and Learning (McREL), in partnership with the Stanford
Nanofabrication Facility
(SNF) and ASPEN Associates, have been awarded an NSF grant to develop and
evaluate a set of
nanoscale science instructional materials for use at the high school level.
We are seeking 20 experienced teachers (NanoLeap A Team) to assist with the
development and
pilot testing of NanoLeap into New Science, an instructional module that
integrates real-world
nanoscale science and engineering research into high school chemistry and
physical science
courses. We are looking for teachers to commit to working with us for
minimally two years.
During the 2005-2006 school year, teachers will assist in the development
of materials. During
the 2006-2007 school year, teachers will pilot test the materials and
assist with revisions.
Participating teachers will receive a stipend of $775 for assisting with
development the first year
and $285 for work done outside of the school day for pilot testing the
materials during the second
year. (For more information on the NanoLeap Project, see the enclosed
project description.)
Year One (2005-2006): Development
É Development of Materials. Teachers will receive training in the content and
implementation of the NanoLeap materials during the fall of 2005.
Throughout the
school year, teachers will also be expected to provide substantive feedback
of the
first draft of the materials, providing specific suggestions for
incorporating materials
into the high school chemistry and physical science curriculum. Although
the first
year will not involve a formal pilot test, you may be asked to try certain
lessons with
your students and provide formative feedback and suggestions for
improvement prior
a the pilot testing phase.
Year Two (2006-2007): Pilot Test
É Implementation of Materials (Pilot Testing). Teachers will integrate the
NanoLeap instructional materials into one or more high school science class
fall of
2006. During the implementation process, teachers will receive ongoing
support from
the development team and other participating teachers.
É Provide Feedback on Materials: While you are implementing the materials,
McREL will ask teachers to provide information on the quality and utility
of the
NanoLeap materials, along with information on how and where they feel the
materials best fit into their current science curriculum. This feedback will
É Materials Rating Form and two Reflection Logs and/or one telephone debriefing
É Teacher survey (fall, 2006)
É Classroom observation and post-observation teacher interview (fall, 2006)
Teachers who are interested in participating in the NanoLeap Project are
asked to complete
the enclosed application form demonstrating the following:
É five or more years of teaching science at the high school level,
É leadership skills (e.g., curriculum development, mentoring)
É ability and/or willingness to engage in reflective practice, and
É ability and/or willingness to engage in continuous educational
improvement efforts.
If you feel you meet the criteria listed above and have an interest in
participating in this
instructional materials development project, please complete and fax or
mail the following
by February 28, 2005:
É Letter of Interest
É Application Form (see enclosed)
É Letter of recommendation from your school principal approving your
involvement in
the project (see enclosed letter to principal)
After we review all of the applications, we will contact potential
candidates for a telephone
interview. Once a candidate has been selected, we will be in contact to
develop a written
memorandum of understanding (MOU) and prepare subcontract paperwork. If you
have any
questions about the project or the application process, please feel free to
give us a call or send an
e-mail message.
If you are unable to participate in this project but know another teacher
who might be interested,
please pass this request on to your colleague. We hope you or a colleague
will join us as we
support the National Science Foundation in taking a NanoLeap into a new
frontier in education!
Sincerely,
John Ristvey Christine Morrow
Lead Consultant, McREL Senior Consultant, McREL
PI, NanoLeap Project Co-PI NanoLeap Project
jristvey@mcrel.org cmorrow@mcrel.org
(303) 632-5620 (303) 632-5553
Encls.
This work is supported by the National Science Foundation, Division of
Elementary,
Secondary and Informal Education award # ESI-0426401 include: