Re: pinhole Determination of wavelength

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 11:31:43 PST

Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:31:43 -0800
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Determination of wavelength

Hi Eric

It comes from The Physics of Musical Instruments by Fletcher and Rossing

;-)

Actually it is the result of the cylindrical plug of compressed air
propagating down the cylindrical tube suddenly ecountering an open end and
then expanding spherically. There is a transition from cylindrical to
spherical that takes a distance related to the diameter of the pipe.

Paul D