Re: Pinhole Digest #1694 - 02/23/05

From: Richard Lohman (richneal@pacbell.net)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2005 - 11:45:19 PST

From: "Richard Lohman" <richneal@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #1694 - 02/23/05
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:45:19 -0800

It's been a long time since I've responded to a query on pinhole so not sure
how to go about this. I'd like to reply to "Avery" about the telescope
purchase.

I would definitely look for a Dobsonian-type reflector scope. You get the
most light-gathering power for the dollar from them, which is what you want
when having students doing the viewing. If I were making this purchase I'd
check out the SkyQuest XT Intelliscope carried by Orion Telescopes.
Website: www.telescope.com. Specifically the XT10 is a 10" reflector listed
for $649. Adding the computerized object locator is another $100. You
could
add in a solar filter for use during the day (looking at sun spots and, when
the time is right, a solar eclipse) and end up, with tax, with about $1000.
I believe this would be an excellent package for the money and for the given
application.

FYI I don't have personal experience with this particular scope, but Orion
is a very reputable company with whom I deal for accesories for my own
scope. I own a fully-computerized Meade 12" scope, and have been viewing
for the past 10 years or so.

Good luck,

Rich Lohman (richneal@pacbell.net)