diffraction and spectroscopes

From: jleet1972@netzero.com
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 21:17:32 PST

From: "jleet1972@netzero.com" <jleet1972@netzero.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 05:17:32 GMT
Subject: diffraction and spectroscopes

I have two questions I am hoping someone can help me with.

I understand the general concept behind diffraction, but I am having a tough time understanding the relationship between the distance of a single slit and the wavelength of a wave. I understand that different wavelengths will diffract at a different wavelength than others, but I cannot understand why?

Also, with regard to a spectroscope, what is the purpose of the single slit as the one end with the diffraction grating at the other? Is it merely to focus the light, or does it allow for greater diffraction than just the diffraction grating offers?

Thank you very much,

Take good care,

Joe

Speed up your surfing with NetZero HiSpeed.
Now includes pop-up blocker!
Only $14.95/month -visit http://www.netzero.com/surf to sign up today!