Thermite rxn

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 16:37:07 PST

Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 16:37:07 -0800
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: Thermite rxn

Hi,

I am planning on doing a thermite rxn for my chem classes, using the
double-clay pot strategy outside. I accidentally purchased magnetite
(Fe3O4) instead of iron (III) oxide (Fe2O3). Darn. Does anyone know
if I can use Fe3O4 instead of Fe2O3 as the oxidizing agent in a
thermite rxn?

I would just try this out, but I want to be able to return the
magnetite unopened if this reaction won't work out.

Thanks,
Geoff