Epsom salt crystals

From: Treena Joi (tjoi@pvsd.net)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 17:00:06 PST

From: Treena Joi <tjoi@pvsd.net>
Subject: Epsom salt crystals
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:00:06 -0800

I am trying to allow students to explore salts ... and in my research,
am finding a variety of descriptors for salts.

cubic salts are easily evident when they crystallize by evaporating in
a small dish

but epsom salts, and other salts seem more complicated

I see descriptors of crystal shape referring to 7 crystal shapes, yet
superficially I see other forms not explained so easily.

I see cubic, tetragonal, hexagonal, orthorhombic, monoclinic,
triclinic, trigonal ... in references to geometric crystal shapes

but see different forms in the salts I observe.

Any help out there?

I am observing epsom salts and am looking for descriptors there
especially and only at a 5th grade level

I am so turned around looking for this I keep typing slats instead of
salts - how funny is that?

Like a typing twitch! (teacher humor)

Thanks for any help available

Treena Joi