Pinhole: DLESE Ambassador program

From: ASKDRSP@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 20:01:15 PST

From: ASKDRSP@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 23:01:15 EST
Subject: Pinhole: DLESE Ambassador program

Greetings All,

I thought you should all hear about this ambassador program. A dear friend of
mine who is a scientist at the UC Museum of Paleontology, Judy Scotchmoor,
shared the latest information about this opportunity for teachers. I hope all of
you interested will apply to be a part of this program.

Take care,
Sue Pritchard

The Digital Library for Earth Systems Education (DLESE) is looking for
California teachers to attend one of two upcoming training workshops for
the purpose of becoming a DLESE Ambassador. DLESE is supported by the
National Science Foundation and is the premier access point for educational
resources on the Web that support teaching and learning earth science. The
intended users of this site are teachers, students and the general public.
The purpose of this workshop is to acquaint the workshop teachers with all
aspects of using the free, public DLESE web site (www.dlese.org) so that
they will be able to serve as K-12 ambassadors to the program at their
state and local education meetings.

The first workshop will be held Saturday, May 7th at the Edward Teller
Education Center in Livermore, CA. Our goal is to recruit teachers from
only the northern half of the state at this time. The second workshop will
be held in conjunction with the October California Science Teachers'
Association meeting in Palm Springs this October and will be offered to
teachers from the southern portion of the state. We anticipate working with
8-10 teachers at each workshop.

Teachers selected to participate in this workshop are expected to make a
couple of presentations at nearby conferences or district in-services each
year for two years following their training. A $200 honorarium will be made
each year after successfully making the presentations. This amount is help
defray the local travel costs and to serve a small measure of thanks for
your help. While we wish there were more to give, our outreach grant only
allow this amount for K-12 outreach.

The purpose of the DLESE Ambassador program is not only to spread the word
about Digital Library for Earth Systems Education. It is also designed to
help interested teachers grow into leadership roles at the local, state,
and regional level by providing opportunities and support for doing
professional development presentations.

DLESE K-12 Ambassadors will also have the opportunity to participate in
research on building and using digital libraries and the effectiveness of
the Ambassador program. We hope to use your knowledge and experiences to
help DLESE enhance its benefit to different K-12 constituents. Research
will involve participating in such activities as surveys, focus groups,
observations, and interviews. Participation in research is not required to
become an ambassador, but is strongly encouraged

In order to be considered for this training opportunity, we need the
following information from each applicant:
    * Home and work contact information
    * Number of years that you have taught
    * Grade level(s) you teach
    * Subject(s) you teach
    * Examples of your past leadership activities in education (workshops,
presentations, etc). While past experience is not required, it is desirable.
    * Which training workshop you would be interested in
If you are a teacher and would like to be considered for this opportunity
please send your information to me directly. If you are not a teacher
yourself, but know teachers in your area (or elsewhere in California) that
would be a good candidate for a DLESE Ambassador would please forward this
email to them.

Thanks for considering this opportunity.

Bryan L. Aivazian
K-12 Outreach Coordinator for DLESE (the Digital LIbrary for Earth System
Education)
Science Instructor - Natrona County School District
1425 S. Ash
Casper, Wyoming 82601
307-235-1536
<mailto:bryana@trib.com>bryana@trib.com

"We are continually faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly
disguised as insoluble problems."

-- John W. Gardner