science activity for the whole school?

From: McGonigle, Jennifer (mcgoniglej@cinnaminson.com)
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 18:49:44 PST

Subject: science activity for the whole school?
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:49:44 -0500
From: "McGonigle, Jennifer" <mcgoniglej@cinnaminson.com>

Hello all!

I am writing hoping that someone can help me brainstorm an idea for a whole school science activity. Our middle school does an activity period once a month to help unify the school, give students a common experience, and possibly create a little friendly competition. It is a 30-40 period and the science dept. has been assigned the month of April. The activity should ideally involve all students (broken into classes of about 25 for a total of 600 students), occupy the whole time, involve minimal teacher guidance (it is a period of time that is considered supervisory and not teaching according to our contract and several teachers will not participate if there is work involved). Assemblies are also a possibility.

I need to try and come up with an idea for this period of time. We can't afford materials for all 600 students and a minimal use of paper would be good considering it is Arbor Day and Earth Day that month and we hope to center our idea around these topics. I was hoping someone had heard of or even participated in an activity that might be appropriate for our school. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your help!
Sincerely,
Jen McGonigle
Cinnaminson NJ