transition

From: Treena Joi (tjoi@pvsd.net)
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 10:12:43 PST

From: Treena Joi <tjoi@pvsd.net>
Subject: transition
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:12:43 -0800

In order to get students' attn

I use an ocarina, (clay musical pipe), following finger notation rather
than musical notation

The music gives students time to finish what they are saying during the
length of the tune and they enjoy the musical aside

For differentiation, I am hoping to have the musically inclined S
translate some music for me from conventional notes to the simplistic
version I rely on (just the finger positions)

A great method for gathering student attention that I observed once
involved reminding students of non-verbal cues they are familiar with.
I saw a teacher lead the class like an orchestra, acting like a
conductor, during a playful exercise.
He split the students up into thirds based on their seating and led the
right, left, and middle of the room in a chorus of "yes, no, maybe"
with just orchestral movements (in the light). After that intro, it
was easy to quiet the class with just a look or a hand motion

Other techniques that I am picking up from other colleagues:
-Clap once if you can here me, clap twice, clap three times (that
usually does it)
-Intro a 'Quiet coyote-type' hand signal (with an associated shadow
puppet sort of hand signal) and await student attn as they raise their
quiet hand signal in response to yours
-'elbow partner time' is really a great on the fly technique to allow S
time to speak - talk to your elbow partner is the direction, then
observe and prompt them on positive social body language and active
listening

For other major transitions, maybe break up the curriculum with a team
building exercise, like a group game or puzzle.
(wait .. I should do that! gotta go)