Accelerating galaxies?

From: Nathan Castellanos (normal@earthling.net)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 22:09:48 PDT

Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:09:48 -0700
Subject: Accelerating galaxies?
From: Nathan Castellanos <normal@earthling.net>

I have a student in my physics class who likes to think about big things,
and today he asked me a question and I had no clue.

He said that he has seen on some TV specials or something that the galaxies
are accelerating away from each other, and that this remains largely
unexplained. He also noted that the fact that electrons seem to maintain
their orbital distance from the nucleus. He said this is strange because
perhaps they should be falling into it. He was wondering if it was somehow
possible that the electron clouds were really shrinking and we just didn't
notice it. And instead of accelerating the galaxies were just shrinking,
which makes it look like they are accelerating.

His theory doesn't seem to make sense, but I was unable to give him a
sensible reason. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan Castellanos