Re: Fun Activities for Stoichiometry

From: George Fosselius (gfosselius@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 12:33:16 PDT

From: "George Fosselius" <gfosselius@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Fun Activities for Stoichiometry
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:33:16 -0700

The concept that "Nature" has devised compounds which require certatin
proportions of ingredients (elements and radicals) might be
modelled by using recipes.
The "chef" has devised dishes which require (more or less) certain
proportions of ingredients--remembering that cooking makes mixtures rather
than compounds--at least on the simplest look.

Fudge is fun. I don't have the handy classroom recipe for fudge, but once
you have one you can double or triple the recipe...to double or triple the
fun.

Hmmm, reminds me of my definition of fudge factors and conversion factors.
Conversion factors change the label of a quantity without changing the
value.
Fudge factors change the value of a quantity without changing the label .
Conversion factors have a ratio of units.
Fudge factors have no units.
The rule for Conversion factors is use as many as you want; they're each
equal to one (1).
The rule for Fudge factors is if you multiply one thing by this factor you
must multiple all by it. ( e.g. numerator and denominator must both be
doubled. Or e.g each recipe ingredient must be doubled or halved.)

Have fun.
George Fosselius
took freshman chem at Cal in 1959
george@mdsc-ic.org