Re: pinhole bonding

From: Algis Sodonis (asodonis@urbanschool.org)
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 05:50:13 PDT

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 05:50:13 -0700
Subject: Re: pinhole bonding
From: "Algis Sodonis" <asodonis@urbanschool.org>

Some quick answers, Mike.

A transition metal can form ionic bonds as well. One of the key characterestics of many (most) of the transition metals is the variety of compounds they can make with just another element. For example, Iron can lose either two or three electrons and can therefore form two types of iron oxides: FeO and Fe2O3. (Iron II oxide and Iron III oxide, respectively)

Metallic bonds are the type of bonds that keep metal atoms combined with metal atoms, similar or different. What keeps copper a solid is the metallic bonds that a copper atoms has with its neighboring copper atoms. Alloys of metals can be formed, such as bronze, which is I believe a mixture of tin and copper. Here tin atoms are iterspersed among the copper atoms, bonded with metallic bonds.

Algis Sodonis
The Urban School of SF.