colors, perception and emotion

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 24 2005 - 20:51:05 PDT

Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:51:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: colors, perception and emotion

My middle daughter is asking me if there are any scientific studies that discuss how humans perceive colors. I vaguely remember reading about how certain colors, pastel greens and blues I think, tend to be calming. Never really tried to understand it, and I guess I am pretty skeptical about possible cultural bias in studies like this.

Her second question is "Are there colors that seem to evoke emotion more than other colors?" I guess she's talking about things like "red=danger" but I know that red is a lucky color in parts of Asia and I don't know of any color that seems to catch a humans eye more than any other color.

I think she is talking about colors in the abstract, I know that organisms use color to hide and to be seen, but her question is about provable emotional content to colors.

Anyone?

With firm handshake,
Raleigh