relativity

From: Mark Lawton (markslawton@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 09:50:45 PDT

From: "Mark Lawton" <markslawton@hotmail.com>
Subject: relativity
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 09:50:45 -0700

Paul,

I would like discussions of

A: why can't a moving flash light produce light moving faster than the speed of light (After all, sound inside a moving train moves faster than the speed of sound with respect to the earth. This is hard to explain to students since they can't comprehend that light doesn't require a medium.)

B: why can't two things happen simultaneously in a universal time frame. (How does one explain to students that there is no universal time frame.)

C: Why does the traveling twin come home younger than the earthbound twin. (I actually have twins in my class and one didn't want to be the older one.)

D: I know this requires general relativity, but how does the acceleration that the twin experiences when she turns around to return to earth affect the situation.

-Mark