fuel cell gadget?

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Sun May 08 2005 - 14:10:09 PDT

Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 14:10:09 -0700
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: fuel cell gadget?

A student showed me the following link, which purports to be a
fuel-cell powered clock/calculator. However, the "fuel" it uses is
water.

Can anyone explain how these things might work? (My only guess is
hidden batteries.)

http://www.realgoods.com/shop/shop2.cfm?dv=2&dp=210&ts=4170301&kw=water%20clock

Below is a description of this item:

Water-Powered Clock or Calculator

  You won't ever have to buy any batteries or plug in any cords to use
this LCD clock or calculator. Both work using nothing more than
ordinary water. The secret is a patented revolution in fuel cell
technology that harnesses the energy of water molecules to provide a
futuristic stream of pollution-free electrical current. Just pull out
the two tiny reservoir tubes from underneath the clock's sleek arch,
fill them from your tap, and amazingly! you'll have enough power for
two months of operation.