Anti-Freeze

From: Marc Kossover (zeke_kossover@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 07:40:59 PDT

Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 07:40:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Kossover <zeke_kossover@yahoo.com>
Subject: Anti-Freeze

From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>

> I ask students to find out the temperature
> at which the coolant in my
> car's radiator will freeze at.
> (I don't use the actual coolant, but rather
> a simulation (with green
> food coloring) since ethylene glycol is toxic.)

Ethylene glycol is toxic but not very. It requires
fairly high amounts to be significantly poisonous. See
<http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts96.html> On the other
hand, if your someone drinks a glass of it, it could
poison him or her. According to the site above, it
does break down in water and is generally
biodegradable.

Propylene glycol, which is used in some more
environmentally friendly anti-freezes, is on the
Generally Regarded as Safe list and is frequently
found in food. It is almost as good an anti-freeze as
ethylene glycol.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover
The Jewish Community High School of the Bay
San Francisco, CA 94121
<http://tochnit.jchsofthebay.org/~zkossover>