Re: pinhole Anti-Freeze

From: Marc Kossover (zeke_kossover@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 15:00:43 PDT

Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 15:00:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Kossover <zeke_kossover@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole Anti-Freeze

[Several people have sent me notes suggesting that I
am being a bit cavalier....]

The MSDS does look a little ominous.
<http://hillbrothers.com/msds/pdf/ethylene-glycol.pdf>
However, ventilation should be enough. A hood would be
perfect, but an open window with a breeze might be
fine. People burn antifreeze in their cars all the
time, sometimes for months without any long term
effect. Similarly sometimes a break in the heater core
will send it out the defrost vents and coat the
windshield. This doesn't seem to be harmful either.

I am actually more worried by the fire risk. It has a
relatively low flash point. A Bunsen burner would be a
real risk. Only a hotplate would do.

Perhaps a switch to propylene glycol would be better.
There are coolants like
<http://www.lubeus.com/anf_environmentally_friendly_antifreeze_coolant.php>
that are in fact made with propylene glycol. It's MSDS
is a lot less frightening.
<http://hillbrothers.com/msds/pdf/propylene-glycol.pdf>

Marc "Zeke" Kossover
The Jewish Community High School of the Bay
San Francisco, CA 94121
<http://tochnit.jchsofthebay.org/~zkossover>