Re: pinhole fair use act-- more comment

From: Exploratorium Learning Studio (studio@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 12:20:02 PDT

Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 12:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Exploratorium Learning Studio <studio@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole fair use act-- more comment

Thanks, Paul! That's ~very~ helpful.

With regard to the situation I ranted about yesterday, the important parts
of TEACH are:

"...you are not authorized by the TEACH Act to digitize the whole movie."

         and

"...the fair use test is sensitive to harm to markets."

Making a full copy simply as an alternative to buying one -- or waiting
till it's in the library -- is not and has never been part of "fair use."
In fact, many film/video copyright holders and most or ALL publishers are
still disgruntled about letting libraries loan their stuff out, and
librarians as a profession have had to fight long and hard to make that
possible. Thus the rant.

There's now a waiting list for that car crash video -- are we surprised?

Jo Falcon, MLIS

Exploratorium Learning Studio
3601 Lyon Street
San Francisco, CA 94123
(Phone) 415-561-0343
(Fax) 415-561-0370
(Email) studio@exploratorium.edu
(URL) http://www.exploratorium.edu/ls

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Paul Doherty wrote:

> Hi Pinholers
>
> The fair use act has been updated to deal with modern instruction over
>[snip]
> http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/teachact.htm
[big snip]