Re: racquet balls in liquid n2

Steve Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:55:50 -0700

Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:55:50 -0700
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: Steve Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: racquet balls in liquid n2

At 03:54 PM 12/19/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Warning
>In the latest Physics Teacher a demonstration is described briefly as
>"Racquet Ball in liquid Nitrogen"
>
>Paul, Have you tried the thirty minute treatment with a ball that has had a
small air hole put in it? Although I very much like your analysis, could it
be possible that with time and at low temperature the rubber settles into a
potentially more explosive molecular arrangement? Although much less likely
than your explanation, I have seen crystal goblets explode, and it is said
that the glass has cooled in them in such a way that they are under stress.

By the way, I miss the exploratorium and all of you. I am now in Montana,
which is the large state on the end of the earth. Steve Eiger