Re: racquet balls in liquid n2

Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 08:52:50 -0800

Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 08:52:50 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: pauld@exploratorium.edu (Paul Doherty)
Subject: Re: racquet balls in liquid n2

Hi Steve and pinhole

I just came back from two weeks in and around Bozeman, cross country skiing.

I like your proposal for the experiment with the holey racquetball in
liquid nitrogen to see if it is the vacuum or stress which drives the
explosion, I'm still voting for vacuum but stress is possible and nature is
complex.
I will do it as soon as we get the next batch of liquid nitrogen at the
Exploratorium.
I'll wear eye protection and report the results to pinhole.

PS to pinhole I'm off to Ecuador to try to climb Chimborazo for the next
two weeks. It is the highest point on earth measured from the center.
Unlike Everest which is measured from sea level. The equatorial bulge gives
Chimborazo the edge.

Paul D