Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

Peter Wilding (pwilding@marin.k12.ca.us)
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 17:51:50 -0800

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 17:51:50 -0800
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: pwilding@marin.k12.ca.us (Peter Wilding)
Subject: Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

Re: Miniature Cars.

We have thought up the 'rules' for a wide variety of mousetrap, rat trap
and human breath powered vehicles which we have posed as 'design and
construction' events in our Science and Technology class competitions from
grades 9-12 as well as in the Marin County Physics Olympics.
Some of the vehicles:

Mouse trap for distance.
Rat trap dragster for speed over 10m.
Dual rat trap powered obstacle course vehicle.
Rat trap powered sled drag with a variable resistance sled.
Rat trap hill climb.
Slowest down the slope four wheel vehicle.
Go and stop - the most accurate and quickest vehicle over 8m. Powered by a
certain amount of potential energy of a raised mass.
Water transfer. 1 L of water transferred across 10m and unloaded. Messy!

These events are a lot of fun and give students an open ended problem
solving approach at all levels. The events are out of school projects,
sometimes group, sometimes individual.
Science and Technology is our 'science' course taken by all students at
San Rafael HS.
Let me know if anybody would like sample rules.

Peter Wilding