wind and fire

Gene Thompson (gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us)
Sun, 23 Feb 1997 10:33:09 -0800 (PST)

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 10:33:09 -0800 (PST)
From: Gene Thompson <gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us>
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: wind and fire

This is a strange, though practical, plea for assistance. Besides
teaching science, I also do theatre. I'm putting on a play at Ocean Beach
in May and June, where our primary light source will be a bonfire. The
audience and actors will be in a circle around the fire, the audience
seated. Now, as you who've had beach parties know, it's often windy out
there and the wind shifts directions, sending massive clouds of smoke
into your face. This is not a problem during a party -- you just move to a
new location around the fire. But during a play this is not preferrable.

So, my question is, what's the best way to control the smoke problem? I
want to do some experimenting in advance, but it's a long process and
narrowing down the possibilities will help enormously. Is the smoke more
likely to rise straight up if the fire is in a slightly sunken trench?
Are wind screens feasible and what would make the best wind screen? Is
there a certain type of wood that is more smoke free?

Help!

Ellen Koivisto
George Washington High School
SF gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us