Re: magnets and cloud chambers

Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 12:18:01 -0800

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 12:18:01 -0800
To: Biedenweg@aol.com, pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: pauld@exploratorium.edu (Paul Doherty)
Subject: Re: magnets and cloud chambers

Doug

We use Scotch Magic Tape
The sticky side of one tape is pressed onto the smooth side of another.
When they are pulled apart the smooth tape becomes - and the sticky sided
one becomes +. They both keep their charges for minutes.
This is written up in the Snackbook, under "Electroscope"

I believe that most fabrics lose charge because they become conductors
because they are coated with hand oils etc. I can't prove this. But
occassionally I have found wool that remains positive after rubbing a
balloon.

I don't know why insulated metals wouldn't pick up a charge.
Aluminum airplanes flying through air become so highly charged that they
must have discharge points on them to remove the charge so as to avoid
sparks.

Any other ideas out there on pinhole?

Paul D