Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

Peter Wilding (pwilding@marin.k12.ca.us)
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 12:27:36 -0800

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 12:27:36 -0800
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: pwilding@marin.k12.ca.us (Peter Wilding)
Subject: Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

Fellow viewers of the world through the Pinhole.
Does this just add clarity and depth of thought?

A few thoughts on the food calorimetry experiment. I have tried both the
enclosing chimney and the exposed test tube methods of measuring heat
energy. We got the same order of heat loss compared to accepted values,
i.e. about 1/3. using either, as heat energy absorption by the metal
components is significant. This could be allowed for with a more elaborate
analysis, but this is not the point of this level of lab.
It is possible to get a commercial oxygen supplied water jacket enclosed
bomb calorimeter with electrical ignition. Ours was made by Griffin and
George, a UK company.
I have used this old faithful lab as part of a performance test, answering
the question of what food to take on a triathlon, dried banana chips or
pork rinds? The test also involved the students in food group testing of
both types of food and applying their knowledge of the human digestive
system. A coordinated science performance test if I ever did one.

The question of file exchange posed by >Guido van Rijn can be overcome by
having those interested send individual requests and then attached files
being sent back with email replies. If anybody wants my food for a footrace
performance test just write. Unless the server has a system for files to
be posted this will have to do.

Peter Wilding
San Rafael HS.
Science and Technology Department.

- Every Science --- Peter Wilding --
- Every Student California Scope Sequence & Coordination --
- Every Year Home fax and phone 415 892 3054--
- Coordinated Science Series - Cambridge University Press--