Exploratorium School Library Fellow

Rose Falanga (rosef@exploratorium.edu)
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:56:14 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:56:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Rose Falanga <rosef@exploratorium.edu>
To: Pinhole Listserv <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Exploratorium School Library Fellow

ANNOUNCEMENT

April 14, 1997

The Exploratorium (San Francisco) is now accepting applications
from school librarians to be part of their summer Teacher Institute

For the past 12 years, the Exploratorium Teacher Institute has held
intensive summer classes for middle and high school math and
science teachers on a learn-by-doing approach to teaching. The
teachers attend half-day classes for up to 4 weeks and receive a stipend
of up to $1000.00. As part of their training, each teacher researches
special topics of their own choosing, with the help of the museum library
resources and staff. The ideas behind the personal projects are to 1)
develop skills in bibliographic research, and 2) develop an appreciation
of library services.

This summer, we are inviting a middle or high school librarian
to be part of the program. We prefer that the librarian work with the
library staff and the science and math teachers for the full eight weeks,
and receive a stipend of $2000. However, we will accept applications from
those who only wish to work one session for a $1000 stipend.

The first session runs from June 23 through July 18 and the second session
runs from July 21 through August 15. The librarian will be expected to
work an average of 5 hours per day. Some flexibility in scheduling is
possible.

We are looking for practicing school librarians who are interested
in improving their math and science backgrounds, developing
reference skills in these areas, including online searching and the
Internet, and learning about the needs and interests of those who
teach these subjects.

Those interested should complete the attached application form and send it
to:

John Hogle, Learning Studio Facilitator
Exploratorium Library
3601 Lyon Street
San Francisco, CA 94123
(VOICE) 415-353-0465
(FAX) 415-561-0307
(INTERNET) jhogle@exploratorium.edu

Exploratorium Teacher Institute -- School Librarian Fellow
1997 Summer Application

Name:___________________________________________

Home Address: ____________________________________

City/State/Zip: ___________________________________

Home Phone: ( ) __________School Phone: ( ) ___________

School where you teach and grade level:

District:

I. How many years have you worked as a school librarian?

II. List your educational background?

III. Describe your library or other work experience.

IV. Which session(s) would you prefer?

__ Session 1: June 23 through July 18

__ Session 2: July 21 through August 15

__ Both