ALUMNNI SUMMER SESSIONS

Eric Muller (emuller@exploratorium.edu)
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 13:12:19 +0100

Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 13:12:19 +0100
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: emuller@exploratorium.edu (Eric Muller)
Subject: ALUMNNI SUMMER SESSIONS

*SPACE IS STILL AVAILABLE IN SOME SUMMER TEACHER INSTITUTE ALUMNI SESSIONS*

To all pinholers,
We still have room in SOME of the Summer Teacher Institute ALUMNI
sessions. If you are interested, let Karen M. know immediately. You don't
have to fill out the standard application form - just send us a note
stating that you want to attend. Make sure you include: Your Name, School,
home address, home and work phone numbers, Grade level you teach and
Session that you are interested in.

Send to: karenm@exploratorium.edu
Or Fax: 561-0307

SEND IT SOON!!!!!!

-Eric

****************Below are the courses with space available: ****************

Environment and Ecology - Middle School Teachers

Investigate and discover many of the current issues and topics in
environmental education. We'll work doing hands-on activities covering
issues such as pollution, native plant and habitat restoration, reuse, art
and ecology, non-toxic alternatives, schoolyard habitats, alternative
energy, and urban and multicultural environmental explorations that you can
do with students at your school.

Environment and Ecology 7/21 - 8/1 11:30 am - 5:30 pm
_______

Cycles - Middle School Teachers

Back by popular demand, this workshop is a repeat of a two-week framework
session we offered last summer. In
this session, you'll explore cycles in nature, with an emphasis on cycles
in astronomy, physical science and
physiology. You'll leave this workshop with lots of innovative activities
that support the Science Framework for
California Public Schools.

Cycles 7/21 - 8/1 11:30 am - 5:30 pm
-------

Exploring the Math in Science - Middle School Teacher

Use science to teach math! Real experiences generate numbers that have
meaning. We'll use biological and
physical science exhibits and activities to explore middle school math
topics such as data analysis, measurement,
proportionality, patterns, and geometry. Sample investigations include:
ratio and proportion in light, image, and
shadow; patterns in nature; mapping and scaling.

Exploring the Math in Science 8/4 - 8/15 8:30 am - 2:30 PM
------

Electricity and Magnetism - High School Teachers

We'll use exhibits and activities to explore electrostatics, electric
currents and circuits, magnetic poles,
electromagnetism, and some electronics. During the two weeks, we will build
many classroom exhibits, in
particular we'll try to develop an "Electricity-box," for classroom
electric explorations, similar to the "Light Box" .

Electricity and Magnetism 8/4 - 8/15 8:30 am - 2:30 PM
---------

Scale and Structure - Middle School Teachers

For those unable to attend this Framework session two summers ago, we are
offering it again. In this workshop,
you'll explore the science and mathematics of both scale and structure.
Build scale models and timelines, explore
the connections between size and life, and investigate the strength and
stability of different types of structures.
You'll leave this workshop with lots of innovative activities that support
the Science Framework for California
Public Schools.

Scale and Structure 8/4 - 8/15 11:30 am - 5:30 pm
--------

Hidden Kingdoms - High School & Advanced Middle School Teachers

This summer the Exploratorium is hosting a special exhibition called Hidden
Kingdoms, exploring the fascinating
world under the microscope. Our workshop will explore and discover the
wondrous diversity of creatures that we
can't see, by engaging in hands-on activities that can be done with
inexpensive, obtainable materials.

Hidden Kingdoms 8/4 - 8/15 11:30 am - 5:30 pm

Eric Muller
Teacher-In-Residence
Exploratorium
3601 Lyon St.