Web mystery and a question

N. Gronert (ngronert@dcn.davis.ca.us)
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:52:25 -0700

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 18:52:25 -0700
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: ngronert@dcn.davis.ca.us (N. Gronert)
Subject: Web mystery and a question

Hello!

#1. I'm on a mailing list for Access Ecellence from Genentech and they just
sent me the following announcement about a new web mystery that I hadn't
yet seen posted here. I had one of my fall semester classes follow and
decipher the clues of the first mystery "The Blackout Syndrome" and the
students enjoyed the mystery very much. The following is the message:

"When we ran our first Access Excellence science mystery, we were given
your e-mail address with which to notify you when our next mystery was
about to begin. That time is near. Please read the text below to find
out more about our new AE science mystery: River of Venom. Hope you will
enjoy.

Jody Brooks
Web Coordinator
Access Excellence
___________________________

They set up the lab deep in the Amazon rainforest. They wanted to make
"killer" bees less deadly. What they didn't want was to start a rampage!

A scientist at the brink of death. A researcher in agony with hundreds
of stings. What happened? Test your scientific sleuthing in "River of
Venom," the much-anticipated new science mystery from Access Excellence.
Mark your calendars. Episode One begins on Monday, April 21, 1997, at:

http://www.gene.com/ae/mystery2/

Prizes awarded to individuals and classes that can solve the final
mystery! Brought to you by Access Excellence... sponsored by Genentech,
Inc.

--
Jody Brooks                                   jbrooks@gene.com
Access Excellence                                 415.225.7847

#2 I read the recent biography of the physicist Lise Meitner by Ruth Lewin Sime. At the end of Chapter 15, in a discussion of fission and "magic numbers", the author brings up the idea of a shell structure within the nucleus "analogous to the electronic structure of the atom--with protons and neutrons occupying shells that are most stable when completely filled."

Could someone describe in general how protons and neutrons are arranged and / or point me to a good source of information?

Thank you!

Nancy Gronert ngronert@dcn.davis.ca.us Jepson Middle School Vacaville

Nancy Gronert e-mail: ngronert@dcn.davis.ca.us