Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

Karen Laitinen (karenl@intergate.fsusd.k12.ca.us)
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 23:13:51 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 23:13:51 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: Karen Laitinen <karenl@intergate.fsusd.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

At 12:07 AM 4/30/97 -0700, you wrote:

>Date: 29 Apr 1997 12:49:50 +0100
>From: "G Horne" <g_horne@sttheresa.pvt.k12.ca.us>
>Subject: Summer opportunity for stud
>
> 4/29/97 12:29 PM
>
>A T T E N T I O N ! ! !
>
>SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT!!
>
>EXCELLENT OPPORTUNTITY FOR 10TH AND 11TH GRADE SCIENCE STUDENTS!
>
>The Summer Science Program is a 39 year old astronomy camp located in Ojai,
>California near Santa Barbara. This distinguished program has produced top
>scientists and astronomers of our time.
>
>Founded by George Abel, and now run by a JPL astonomer, the Summer Science
>Program has been a place where rising juniors and seniors can learn
>astronomy, physics, and calculus in a 6-week boarding program, meet visiting
>scientists like Sally Ride, Alan Sandage, Maartin Schmidt, Paul MacCready,
>the Amazing Randii and others, and work on a very real and challenging
>research project.
>
>Alumni of SSP consistently go to top colleges. 8% went to MIT. 70% go to
>either Stanford, Harvard, Berkely, Cal Tech, Harvey Mudd, UCLA, Amherst,
>Haverford, Brown, Cornell, Pomona, Princeton, Rice or Yale. Graduates of the
>program consistently single out SSP as one of the most rewarding and
>meaningful summers of their lives.
>
>On a personal note, I have been associated with the program for over 5 years,
>and it never ceases to amaze me how many former students tell me that their
>lives were changed by SSP.
>
>This year, due to the absence of a critical advertising source, the Summer
>Science Program is under-enrolled. This means that there is still time for
>interested students to apply. The cost for 6 weeks is $1600, however
>financial aid is available to anyone who needs it, and admissions is
>needs-blind.
>
>Please encourage your current 10th and 11th graders to take part in this
>program. It is truly a life altering experience.
>
>Students must apply by May 30th, so hurry!
>
> Contact me directly at g_horne@sttheresa.pvt.k12.ca.us for an application or
>more information. You can also find the SSP web page
>http://www.thacher.org/ssp/index.html
>for more details.
>
>Thank you very much
>
> Special
> Announcement

To anyone who is teaching agriculture or horticulture:

I am looking for information on hydroponics and a better lab than I am
using now with my 8th grade students. Right now I am using a variation on a
fast plants lab where a fast growth seed such as radishes are put in a
container with a support substance and irrigated continually with a nutrient
rich water supply. The lab is continued for about two weeks.

Thanks>