Mosquito Life Cycle Unit

PipeOrgn@aol.com
Sun, 11 May 1997 07:59:10 -0400 (EDT)

From: PipeOrgn@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 07:59:10 -0400 (EDT)
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Mosquito Life Cycle Unit

FYI Pinhole People!

Mosquito Life Cycle Unit:

Since mosquitos are the number one transmission agent (vector) of disease in
the world, some small unit should be dedicated to this little insect
vampire! If you are in Sonoma or Marin County there is an educational
officer who will come out to your school with samples of live larvae/pupae,
live adults (both male and female), live mosquito fish predators (Gambusia
affinis), a video, a teaching manual, and other learning aids. His name is
Chris Canterbury and he is most knowledgeable. The unit has activities such
as observing the mosquitos hatch in a mosquito hatcher and feeding larvae to
the mosquito fish. Spanish materials are also available for some lessons.

In cities such as San Francisco where there is no eradacation program the
number of mosquito bites rises year after year. Each of the catch basins on
the city "storm" drains holds a pool of water with a large population of
mosquitos in the larval stages. It will only take one human carrier of a
disease born by mosquitos to start a problem. The educational program
offered by the Sonoma Marin Mosquito and Vector Control District is trying to
show children how even such an act as emptying standing water from an old
junked tire may deter serious consequences.

A number of persons died in the 1953 Equine Encephalitis outbreak in
California. A very conservative world-wide number of 3,000,000 persons are
reported to die each year from mosquito spread diseases (bacterial and
viral). Dogs are recommned to have monthly heartworm pills to keep from
dying of mosquito born parasites. Judging from the number of mosquito bites
on my students in San Francisco, something needs to be done. I would suggest
the Exploratorium staff look into Mr. Canterbury's unique and not expensive
larvae hatcher (two plastic jars and a plastic funnel arrangement) and
include it as a fascinating project.

BTW, white vinegar in an rubber eye-dropper bulb held on by suction for a
length of time over a mosquito bite seems to help. The histamine reaction
goes away fairly quickly when the acid neutralizes the alkaline mosquito
saliva that is causing the irritation. If anyone has a better way of
"doctoring" a bite, I'd love to hear about it.

As for "old folk tales", no - mosquito hawks (Tipulidae [Crane Fly]) are
vegetarians, mosquitos won't pop if you squeeze a vein, and they are not lazy
fliers. The Aedes dorsalis will fly up to 36 miles for a meal on you.

Now those of you who were in the 1996 Summer Teacher Institute with me know
my background is as an electronics instructor so if I didn't get the above
information correct would you Biology teachers jump in and make corrections.
Thanks.... :-)

The contact is:

Mr. Chris Canterbury
1(800) 231-3236 or 1(707) 762-2236

Best wishes for a great summer vacation for everyone,

Al Sefl
PipeOrgn@aol.com

BTW - If anyone in SF Unified knows of an Electronics, Woods, Metals,
Computers, or Earth Sciences position available, please e-mail me privately.
The %$#@&* District has not been able to locate anything for me as I return
from a wonderful and very productive sabbatical leave. I don't want to go
back into the Court School or the Sub Pool. Thank you!