exponential rope needed

Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Tue, 13 May 1997 10:55:06 -0800

Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 10:55:06 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: pauld@exploratorium.edu (Paul Doherty)
Subject: exponential rope needed

Pinholers
Do you have any ideas?

Hi Paul:

A student proposed an experient requiring a rope whose density
varies exponentially along its length. We could assemble a chain
with links of varying mass, or we could use a light string and
attach equal masses with exponentially varying separations. Can
you think of another way to do it? The point is to study the
transverse vibrational modes, so flexibility matters. Has the
Exploratorium ever assembled anything similar?

He claims that such a rope will yield a sequence of natural harmonics
when hung vertically and vibrated. This seems well worth testing to me.

Hope you are well.

Brian

(Brian Holmes BWHOLMES@sjsuvm1.sjsu.edu