Lights in the sky

Dan Gray (DGRAY@justina)
Thu, 22 May 1997 14:48:28 PST

From: "Dan Gray" <DGRAY@justina>
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 14:48:28 PST
Subject: Lights in the sky

At about 1245 pm today there was a spectacular display of color in the
sky around the sun, visible from here in the Napa Valley in Northern
California. Did anyone else see it? There was a faint rainbow ring
around the sun, about 15-20 from the sun, and portions of a much
brighter ring, brighter than any rainbow I've ever seen, about 40-50 out. My recollection is that a ring
around the sun is due to refraction through high altitude clouds...
which is what I passed along to my Physics students but I think
there's more to it than that....

-Dan Gray
dgray@justin-siena.napanet.net