Heidi's questions

NFetter@aol.com
Thu, 22 May 1997 19:40:58 -0400 (EDT)

From: NFetter@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 19:40:58 -0400 (EDT)
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Heidi's questions

1. The "backward" temperture scale of the H-R diagrams. The coordinates of
any graph can be scaled in any way that makes the data presented more
comprehensible or easier to understand. Most graphs start at zero at the
origin and increase in each direction. The coordinates and scaling of the H-R
diagrams are designed to make stellar evolution a straightforward trail from
nascent stars to red giants. The white dwrafs end up off to the side a
little, but the main sequence stars like our Sun are easy to follow in most
H-R diagrams.
2. Ultasonic pipe cleaners. There is no way I know of the ultra sound can
prevent the formation of water pipe scale, however, ultra sound might be able
to break up scale that has already formed. The energy required to do this
task is formidible and you might destroy your plumbing while breaking up the
scale. Ultra sound will not soften water. In a word the device is hogwash.

Neil
Fetter