Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

Dave Nickles (dan7@psu.edu)
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 08:29:11 -0400

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 08:29:11 -0400
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: Dave Nickles <dan7@psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

Dear Pinholers
I am preparing a presentation on contemporary elementary school curriculum
and instruction which describes cutting edge elementary science curriculum
and instruction (teaching and learning). The audience consists mainly of
school administrators, curriculum coordinators, and teacher supervisors.
Given that many of these educators may not understand the value science
instruction in the early elementary grades, I have also been asked to
discuss the significance of science instruction for elementary school
learners, inserting these curricula as exemplars of what and how effective
elementary science can look.

To address this issue I am searching for input on the latest "cutting edge
elementary science curriculum/materials" from teachers. I'm wondering if
anything (texts/kits/modules/programs) or particular publishers have come
to the fore in presenting a cutting edge elementary science curriculum
since the 1992 Science adoption for CA? Realizing this listserve may is
directed principally at a high school crowd, I decided to ask you all
anyway in case, if you don't have information in this area, you might be
able to put me in email contact with someone who is more familiar with the
elementary science curricula area.

Additionally though, I think it's important to know what YOU THINK a
cutting edge elementary science curriculum should look like and how should
it support students being successful in your programs.

Since my knowledge of elementary science curriculum materials has become
dated, I'd appreciate any suggestions about materials/programs you believe
fit the description of "cutting edge" and/or being put in touch with others
(preferably via email) who might know about or have been implementing
innovative curriculum in elementary science?

Thanks!
Dave

*****************************
Dave Nickles
Science Education
177 Chambers Bldg.
Penn State University
University Park, PA 16802
814-863-1691 (office)
814-861-2093 (home)
dan7@psu.edu

Thought for the Month
"One must seek the origins of conscious activity ...not in the recesses of
the human brain...but in the external conditions of life." Luria