Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

Lynn P and Daniel S (DanS@california.com)
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 00:42:48 -0700

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 00:42:48 -0700
From: Lynn P and Daniel S <DanS@california.com>
To: Pinhole Listserv <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

regarding the cutting edge elementary science program...i think their is
a school in potlatch idahoe that takes the cake for me. they filled a
room full of science stuff so that kids could choose their own
experiments and use the materials at hand in the room. this was an
amazing insight to me, into allowing individual creativity and interest
to guide the exploration, rather than the teachers lesson guiding the
student. i met them at the autodesk project based learning conference
2 years ago....it was an amazing program....made me embarrased to call
myself a science teacher...

incidentally, i am really into trying to make my class more student
centered, so to speak, by allowing the student to choose their topics of
study and learn at their own pace... has anyone out there tried this
approach or have any matrial that has the potential to be used in this
way. i have a textbook "science plus" that has lots of labs, so i let
the student read and do the labs at their own pace. this worked ok.. and
i was really pleased to see the student take charge of their learning.
great freedom for me and them. but the book was just ok... and not
perfect. i really want to learn how this can be done...

daniel sudol
portola middle school
el cerrito