Heritage Seeds

Shirley Brungardt (shirleybrungardt@hotmail.com)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:41:07 -0700

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 09:41:07 -0700
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: Shirley Brungardt <shirleybrungardt@hotmail.com>
Subject: Heritage Seeds

I have recently become more interested in investigating plants brought to
this country by immigrants and saved for replanting year after year. This
theme provides part of the story line in some very good children's
literature. With the growth of the outdoor classroom and gardening, the
possibilities of planting this type of garden are intriguing.

My husband's German family brought a small, seedy berry (Schwarzberre ?)
from their European home when they arrived in Hays, Ks. about 100 years
ago. They might have brought it from Germany or "White Russia" since they
went to that frontier before coming to the US. I planted it for several
years and made strudel with it. I sent it to our local Extension office
for identification and they told me it was a noxious weed that gets into
wheat crops and "messes up" the combine. They also told me it was
poisonous! Since we have eaten it with no adverse effects, I wonder if
there id was right. I also wonder if it was right, was this weed
introduced by the German immigrants who settled in wheat country?

I would be glad to receive heritage seed samples that would grow in the
midwest if anyone out there has any.

*New 911 address:
Shirley Brungardt
14516 C Highway