Re: ???????

FoodPhD@aol.com
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 18:46:36 -0400 (EDT)

From: FoodPhD@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 18:46:36 -0400 (EDT)
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: ???????

Tim and Bret,

As far as references for food science related labs, here are some sources.

One is the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) located in Chicago. When I
called them they sent me a small lab manual with teacher's guide for 8
different labs.

Another source in California would be the food science department at
UC-Davis. I'm sure several of their undegraduate labs could easily be
adapted to high school.

The text for ChemCom also has some food related labs (Vit. C content in
beverages and Iron content in breakfast cereals).

Personally, I have swapped rooms with the Home-Ec teacher and had my kids
bake cookies. Each group gets a slightly modified recipe and they compare
results to see the effects of the different ingredients and their relative
amounts. The kids do enjoy eating their results. Another teacher at my
school makes ice cream using liquid nitrogen, though that's more physics than
chemistry. With a little research into a food chemistry text, a cookbook can
become a good lab source.

Other principles can be illustrated with food examples, such as: water's
triple point and freeze drying; evaporative cooling and spray drying (how
they make hot chocolate mix); gas laws and extrusion cooking.

As a former research food scientist turned teacher, I tend to see food
examples all over the place.

Hope this helps.

Rob Kravets
Benicia High School