Earth science textbooks

ALM_RUTHG@carleton.edu
Wed, 06 Aug 1997 18:12:16 -0500 (CDT)

From: ALM_RUTHG@carleton.edu
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 18:12:16 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Earth science textbooks
To: PINHOLE@EXPLORATORIUM.EDU

Hello,

I am a new teacher at a new school, and next year I will be teaching an earth
science class to ninth and tenth graders. I have looked at a number of earth
science textbooks, but I haven't come across one that I like. Most of them
emphasize arcane vocabulary and present ideas in a dogmatic fashion, rather
than tying things together conceptually and inspiring students' curiosity in
the material. The best book I've seen is _Exploring the Earth_ by the American
Geologic Institute, but the latest edition is 1987, and it's no longer being
supported by the publisher.

So, my question is, what textbooks do other earth science teachers use in high
school? What do you like (and dislike) about the text you use?

Thanks!

-----
Geoff Ruth
Eastside College Preparatory School