re: experiments with bubbles

Robin Raphael Simke (sfmaidl@sirius.com)
Tue, 2 Sep 97 21:54:30 -0000

Subject: re: experiments with bubbles
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 97 21:54:30 -0000
From: Robin Raphael Simke <sfmaidl@sirius.com>
To: "Pinhole listserve" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>

This reminds me of an article I clipped recently:

"If the bubbles atop your coffee drift toward the rim, look for cloudy
stormy skies. But expect fair weather if they float toward the center of
the cup. Why? High barometric pressure forces a liquid surface down,
low pressure lets it rise. Bubbles work their way to the lowest points
of the surface. That comes from the barnyard forecasters."

It seems that there might be some sound scientific assumptions in this
method, but is the Starbucks in your mug really that sensitive to
barometric pressure? If so, this is a good addition to the restaurant
science workshop!

Robin
Burlingame, CA
sfmaidl@sirius.com