Re: Questions

Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 08:43:19 -0700

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 08:43:19 -0700
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: Questions

>Three questions:
>
>1.Does anyone out there know the physiological causes of muscle soreness
>(the day after stuff) and how they might differ from lactic acid
>buildup?

Lactic acid is quickly removed from muscle to be used as fuel by other
organs, eg. heart, liver etc. Muscle soreness is probably a result of
microscopic tears and other such stresses in the muscle which are being
helped in the reparations the next day by the cells of the immune system.
These cells likely give off mediators which are perceived as soreness. By
the time you are sore the lactic acid levels have returned to normal for
many many hours. have any of you noticed that as you age it takes longer
to get sore? I sure have. Hope this is of help. Eiger