Matter in a vacuum

suzanna loper (suzanna@seismo.berkeley.edu)
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 09:12:17 -0700

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 09:12:17 -0700
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: suzanna@seismo.berkeley.edu (suzanna loper)
Subject: Matter in a vacuum

I was discussing with some other educator-types whether there
is ever a true friction/air-resistance free environment; someone
said a vacuum, and I said even in an alleged vacuum matter actually
appears and disappears. I can't remember where I heard or read
about this but it might have been at the Exploratorium ... and I
seem to remember it has something to do with the Heisenburg uncertainty
principle, that energy can be created or destroyed but only within
a certain time limit. Can anyone comment on whether or not this is true?
Thanks!
Suzy Loper
Skyline High School/Oakland
and now at UC Berkeley School of Ed