Re: Matter in a vacuum

Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 14:47:13 -0800

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 14:47:13 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: pauld@exploratorium.edu (Paul Doherty)
Subject: Re: Matter in a vacuum

The particles that appear and then vanish in a vacuum have measurable
physics effects.

Two metal plates separated by a vacuum experience a force pushing them
together, this has recently been experimentally measured.

If I choose to not bring in the Higgs field
I tell my students that we have to reword the law of conservation of energy
(where I include mass as a form of energy)
It isn't that the
energy of a closed system never changes
instead is that
you cannot measure the change in the energy of a closed system.

Particles with mass appear for a time that is so short that you cannot
measure that their mass violates the law of conservation of energy.

Paul D