basic chemistry questions and mineral project

Jory Gessow (gessow@well.com)
Tue, 07 Oct 1997 20:03:04 -0700

Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 20:03:04 -0700
From: Jory Gessow <gessow@well.com>
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: basic chemistry questions and mineral project

Tuesday October 7, 1997
Dear Pinholers,

Thanks for the replies. Rich Lohman wrote:

I believe there are elements that sublimate at room temperature, such as
iodine crystals. I hope someone else can confirm this. I also imagine
it would depend on the combination of temperature and pressure.

Sue Lowder wrote:

4) All substances do not go through a liquid phase when becoming a gas.
This process is called sublimation. Frost on your car windows forms by
sublimation (gas to solid). Dry Ice (solid carbon dioxide) sublimes at
room temperature. Iodine also sublimes when heated.

5) Normality is defined as the number of equivalents of solute perliter
of solution. So, what's an equivalent? In an acid one equivalent is the
quantity, in grams, that supplies one mole of protons. Your 1 N HCl is
the same as a 1 molar solution.

I got other responses as well and I appreciate them.

Encouraged by the great response to my first question let me pose
another. I am considering assigning my 6th and 8th grade Earth Science
students an independent project to do an in depth study of either an
element or a mineral. How is it used? How is it mined or extracted?
Where is it mined? What are the costs to the environment associated with
its use? Etc. Etc. Whatis holding me up, is I do not know good
references to recommend to them to use, and I don't want to say just go
to the library, when I haven't had time to do this yet myself. Does
anyone have any suggestions? Internet is also a possibility as
many of them have Internet access at home, and some limited access at
school.

Thanks,

Jory Gessow
Tehiyah Day School