Naive question (2 cents' worth)

Richard Brooks (richardb@exploratorium.edu)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 16:49:58 -0800 (PST)

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 16:49:58 -0800 (PST)
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: Richard Brooks <richardb@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Naive question (2 cents' worth)

Dear Pinholers,
Being more aligned [by training] with the social scientists, I have
some spots of confusion in my understanding of the current 'nature vs
nurture' thread amongst y'all. The general understanding seems to be that
"nurture" is equal/analogous to socialization; and from the discussion so
far, folks seem to be saying that "nature" is equal/analogous to genetics.
My question: are there other possibilities for nature--for example, are
organic differences "genetic"? Or are they in opposition to genetic
differences? (For the statisticians out there: Is there a heritability
threshold that must be crossed before something can be described as
"genetically-based"? Would 1% heritability be enough?)
Still mulling all of this stuff,
El Troll

Richard Brooks, Library Troll
The Exploratorium