AP Science courses

blohman@coastside.net
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 06:56:37 -0800

From: blohman@coastside.net
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 06:56:37 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: AP Science courses

There is a debate at my school concerning the advantages and disadvantages
of AP science. At present we have only 3 years of science - Biology,
Chemistry, and Physics. We are considering adding a 4th year but are arguing
about what it should be. Some feel that AP is not given credit by most
universities; that it is an expensive course to set up ($15,000 for AP
Biology??); and that many high schools are moving away from these courses.
My position is the exact opposite of this. I feel that students need an AP
course just to be prepared to go into a science major; the AP test and
credit is secondary.

There are only 4 of us in the department and we are all opinionated and
prejudiced toward our own views. I would like to get some other opinions,
does anyone out there have any?