vector components

Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:04:18 -0800

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:04:18 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: pauld@exploratorium.edu (Paul Doherty)
Subject: vector components

Paul,

Had a wild day in class. Some really smart kids could not handle the idea
that vectors could be broken into components. Specifically, I was using the
example of an object sliding down an inclined plane. I tried to show how the
force of gravity could be considered to be two components, one parallel to
the incline, the other perpendicular to it. The kids kept arguing that
gravity only pulls straight downward, not at an angle. I've got a few ideas
for tomorrow. I tried to show them that an object moved down an incline and
therefore must be experiencing a force and since the only force we can think
of is gravity, this must be gravity, even if it seems strange. I think they
need a different way of thinking about this and was wondering if you might
have a little insight.

Thanks,
Steve