middle school kits and curriculum

wendy pierce, bozeman mt (cjpier@hawks.bps.montana.edu)
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 11:37:45 -0800

Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 11:37:45 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: "wendy pierce, bozeman mt" <cjpier@hawks.bps.montana.edu> (by way of
Subject: middle school kits and curriculum

Dear pinholers,

One of the workshop participants from the Institute for Inquiry (the
elementary teacher analogy of Teacher Institute) inquired about districts
that use kits in middle school (6-8) and districts that use an integrated
science approach in 6-8 and how those are going.

I know that SFUSD uses middle school kits, but don't know which ones or how
effective they are. I also know of at least one distict that has an
integrated curriculum (Antioch or Martinez?? Where are you Guillermo or
Theresa?). Are there others?

Can you please talk about your experiences with either of these two
approaches and I'll forward them to Wendy from Bozeman Montana (see message
below).

Thanks!

Fred Stein
Science Educator
Exploratorium Institute for Inquiry
fred@exploratorium.edu

Hi Fred,

A little off the subject of parchutes and pinholes, but I am trying to
find some information on two areas of middle school science. I am looking for
resources or schools that have a proram using kits for their 6-8 science and
or schools that are using an intergrated approach for the 3 years (physical,
life and earth each year). We are looking at a new adoption coming up and I'd
like to go into our meetings with some good data on schools that are already
using these approachs. I'm looking forward to my return trip ;to the
Exploratoium this Febuary-- it has kept me going all year!!
Thanks, Wendy Pierce